Thursday, March 25, 2010

Ale and Haggis: they're not just for Breakfast any more!

It is often said that one of the shortest books in the world includes the book of great Scottish cooking. It is my opinion that the person who wrote that never had any real Scottish food. If he had he would change his opinion.
Well, you say, you may be right, but I'm not about to jump on a plane and fly to Scotland just to eat some Scottish food.
I've driven halfway across Florida for some Cajun catfish and dirty rice--but I admit, I understand your objection.
But, fortunately, you don't have to go to Scotland to get great Haggis--and whole lot more. You can find great Scottish food right here, made in these United States.
I'm speaking of the Caledonian Kitchen and most especially their fantastic Haggis. For those unfamiliar with the dish it's usually made of lamb, pin head oats and spices, including one spice that is little used in the US but is fantastically good: Mace.
Well, there's no good talking about Haggis. You've just got to taste it. Have it for breakfast (with or without beer), or as the protein part of supper. Haggis is traditionally served with Neeps and Tatties (Rutabagas and mashed potatoes). But I've found Haggis is great with eggs in the morning or a steamed sweet potato at the evening meal.
So, how do you get it? Well, start by going to the Caledonia Kitchen web site and ordering few cans. It comes in Lamb (my favorite), beef, sirloin beef and even vegetarian! While you're there check out the Irish and Scottish stews, and the Whiskey cakes. I've had a chance to sample all of these and you simply can't go wrong by ordering any or all of them.
If you're looking for good food and something out of the ordinary that you'll find as amazingly good as it is unique you will be glad you checked out the Caledonian Kitchen on line. In fact, all this makes me remember I've got to order some more haggis for myself––and maybe a few cans of whiskey cake.
So, here's the site to check out for yourself. You'll be glad you did!
http://www.caledoniankitchen.com/catalog/index.php?osCsid=e250af2a7ce60c0aa8cab2eda035e0f5

No comments:

Post a Comment